![]() |
| Hope for Tomorrow |
This past summer, I had the immense pleasure of visiting my relatives in California from my mother's side. During our trip there, we made one very special detour on our way to San Francisco to pay our respects at a cemetery to my eldest aunt. Until that moment in the cemetery, with my mom and 2 of her siblings standing side by side, reminiscing together, I had not realized the larger than life role my aunt played in the lives of my mother's family. My mother's family has gone through many hardships together and gradually, with stories told and moments shared, it dawned on me that my great aunt, during her lifetime, had an indomitable strength and will and the most caring of hearts, helping to hold the family together. Sadly, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and passed away fighting it during my childhood. I never got the chance to know her and I wish I did. It's amazing how much one single moment can open your eyes...it was that moment that made me truly realize that no matter how many years pass by, the loss of a loved one remains in your heart and lasts a lifetime...
This race, as well as all the future races I run, will always and forever be in remembrance of my dearly beloved aunt.
Please take a moment to make a donation to the Komen Maryland 2010 Race for the Cure, join a team or be a volunteer. You could even simply forward this to others as a way to contribute. Contributions of any type would be greatly appreciated and will help support the promise to end breast cancer forever.
Above all, thank you for taking the time out of your busy lives just to read this; it means a lot to me. If you wish to donate, please follow the link, http://www.komenmd.org/2010/denisevan , to my personal webpage to make a donation. Every little bit counts towards finding a cure.
For more information about breast cancer and/or the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, visit www.komen.org.
Thank you dearly,
Denise Van


0 comments:
Post a Comment